Okay, to all you moms and dads out there. I need some advice. Colin, for the third day in a row now, has had at least one (what I can best describe as a) tantrum lasting more than an hour. Here's the basic run down: it starts when he doesn't get something he wants (this morning it was the "right" breakfast and this afternoon it was a CD tower) . He starts kicking, screaming, bucking, and hitting. He does not want to be held and nothing can make him stop (outside, snack, shower, totally leaving the room and ignoring him, etc). He refuses to look at me when he's doing this and it goes on and on while he becomes hoarser and is gagging himself. Eventually he "gets over it" and can get back to playing happily as though it never happened. He has done it to both Michael and I.
This seems like a pretty long tantrum to me. Is this a normal length of time to be angry? Wednesday it lasted longer than an hour and a half. What do/did you all do to deal with tantrums? Ug, I am ready to call the doctor/psychiatrist.



Signing off, from the dark side of parenting...
2 comments:
Within an hour of posting this, my grandma called to tell me that a small dipper of water splashed into their face worked on my mom and one of my uncles!
I am so sorry! We've had our share of tantrums--not any that have lasted quite that long, but knock down, drag out, ugly crying tantrums nonetheless. What usually works for mine is to tell them at the first moment of a fit that "mommy will not watch you throw a fit, so you will have to do it in your room." I take them to their room and close the door and tell them I will come back when they are happy again. It took mine several cycles of this before they caught onto the fact that if they get quiet quicker they can come play. It's always excrutiating to hear them scream, but it did work. This is just what worked for us...you may find it to be of no benefit.
Praying for you, girl! If they only knew how much we loved them...
Post a Comment