Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Picking Peaches & Berries

Today we drove up to pick blackberries and peaches at an orchard we love to visit. The blackberries were SO numerous and yummy. I was surprised at how well Colin did with them this year. I think he actually even got more in the basket than in his mouth and after only a very short lesson on how to check before picking, he did a remarkable job only picking the ones that were fully ripe.
Sometimes he just had to taste though. Then he'd grin at me really big and say, "I put the next one in the basket, mama."
I was also really impressed with how carefully he handled them. Here he is bringing two over to the basket. They're pretty easy to squash and he kept nearly all of them intact. Yay for fine motor skills! :)
Here he is carrying the basket before it got too full and heavy!
After about an hour he said, "come on mama, let's pick somesing else!" so we did. :)
Next we picked some peaches. I love peach trees because their branches are low enough than he can easily reach them. We only ended up with a couple underripe ones in our box - he did a pretty good job of letting me inspect before he picked them.
Hmmm...this one got rotated. Whoops!
We also got a small bag of plums while we were there and Colin had to try one as soon as we were home (even though we'd stopped for pizza for lunch - is this child ever full?).
I was a little worried since he wouldn't eat a popsicle for my mom because it dripped on him too much and got him dirty, but he did okay with the plum!
All in all, a good morning!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

A fun morning!!

Laura said...

Looks like a great time was had by all. These are precious moments in both of your lives.